Saturday, February 26, 2011

The hunt



Once the hunt for supervisors began, honours students could be spied pacing round the psychology floor, searching for the right office, and discussing in huddles who had interviewed whom. Ordinarily the prospect of asking a professor a question in a crowded lecture hall or after class wouldn't have phased me. However, even I was incredibly nervous. Luckily, I started my search with a  particularly friendly supervisor.

Now that this process is behind me I know I am lucky to have had the opportunity to meet with potential supervisors. Each meeting gave me a new perspective about the honours process.

For anyone about to embark on their own supervisor hunt, good luck and here are five ideas that you might like to consider:
  1. If your potential supervisors haven't specified any particular projects, coming up with at least two broad ideas is wise, just in case one is not feasible.
  2. Read the recommended readings
  3. Visit more supervisors than you have preferences, to ensure more flexibility at decision time.
  4. Have some idea about what you want in a supervisor and project and discuss their supervisory style
  5. If you have further questions, follow them up with an email or subsequent meeting
Good hunting

No comments:

Post a Comment