Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Psychology Honours - The Musical

I have played the piano since I was eleven years old. It's been years since I had my last lesson but I teach myself now, finding sheet music where I can* or learning songs 'by ear.' What does this have to do with psychology? Well, in honours year everyone seems to have developed their own way of dealing with stress, frustration and thesis stalemates. Some people crotchet, others knit, get hooked on television sitcoms, bake or peruse Facebook. Does this sound like any of you?

Mostly, I play the piano (or blog). If I'm hitting a brick wall with a thesis draft, can't get my head around SPSS or just need a short break you'll hear piano music coming from the office. Not only do I enjoy it, but when I return to my thesis after these fifteen minute interludes, I often find that things seems more manageable or an unruly paragraph begins to cooperate.


After almost four years of studying psychology, I guess its only natural that I've noticed some patterns between my playing and studying behaviour. For instance, if you hear me labouring over a new piece of music, easily identifiable by my stilted playing, I've likely just started or finished an assignment or thesis draft. On the other hand, if I've turned my hand to one of the pieces I can play with my eyes closed, played in various styles or at breakneck speed for a bit of variety, I'm probably in the middle or towards the end of an assignment or draft. Does anyone else notice their 'coping' strategies change? Perhaps your 'procrastibaking' reaches fever pitch right before an assignment is due, or you have a Big Bang Theory marathon once you've submitted a draft?

I've included my honours 'soundtrack' or repertoire below. They say that music can draw you back to a certain time and place so I am sure that these songs will always remind me of this year.


The early days; finding a supervisor and starting classes
  • Brick - Ben Folds Five
  • Bella's Lullaby - Carter Burwell [Twilight]
  • Superman - Five for Fighting
  • 100 Years - Five for Fighting
  • 1000 Miles - Vanessa Carlton
  • Mad World - Gary Jules

The Research Proposal
  • River Flows in You - Yiruma
  • Comptine d'un autre été: l'après (Life is a song) - Yann Tiersen ['Amelie,' though I've yet to watch it]
  • Miss Clare Remembers - Enya (learnt by ear)
  • The Meadow - Alexander Desplat [New Moon]
  • The Heart Asks Pleasure First - Michael Newman ['The Piano,' I haven't seen this either]
  • Fix You - Coldplay
  • Postcards From Far Away - Coldplay
  • Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová ['Once,' a great film]

Thesis Writing - all the aforementioned songs plus...
  • Take 5 - Dave Brubeck
  • 1st Gymnopédie - Eric Satie
  • Someone Like You - Adele (half improvised because I can't find sheet music for the melody, only the accompaniment)
  • Lord of the Rings Main Theme - Howard Shore
  • Wherever You Will Go - The Calling

*For any fellow musos out there, this site is fantastic: http://words3music.ph/

I'm off to play 'The Heart Asks Pleasure First,' so until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment